2011年9月26日星期一

Letting big brother name the new baby

Choosing a name for your unborn baby is one of the fun, creative things that go along with the swollen ankles, heartburn and hemorrhoids of pregnancy. It was for me, at least. I had a list of favorite names that I would pull from that was depleted around baby #3. Totally understandable when you are given the job of naming six children.

So, why not have your older children help?

In TODAY Moms, they are discussing Letting older siblings name the baby: Is it a do or a don’t?
I never thought to do this, but it was probably best. My children aren’t shy about their plans to name my grandchildren after bounty hunters from Star Wars.

But this concept of letting an older sibling name the new baby is near and dear to my heart. When my sister was preparing for her third little girl, her oldest daughter Selah who was three years old at the time, was obsessed about the “purple baby” in mommy’s tummy. Apparently, this baby had an aura and it was purple. We thought it was cute. But really, Selah? You can’t name a baby Purple!

But it is a perfectly acceptable middle name.

My niece is named Stella Purple. She also goes by the name Purple or Stelly P. I think it’s adorable because it just fits her. Purple is a beautiful color. She got lots of little purple outfits when she was a baby. Purple is a sign of royalty and let me tell you, this sassy little thing likes to think she’s in charge and she’s not afraid to tell you so. And how cool is it to know your big sister named you?

Personally, I think people are a little too stuffy with names. Who wants to be named after your great great great great grandmother’s sister on your father’s side? Not me. But I confess, I draw the line at Jango Fett.

没有评论:

发表评论