2011年3月2日星期三

Donohue: Mineral oil not the safest way to stay regular

Dear Dr. Donohue: Please let me know what you think about my way of staying regular.

Every day I take a shot of mineral oil. It keeps my bowels loose. I also have

hemorrhoids, and the mineral oil keeps them from acting up. It seems to coat them.

What do you think of this? -- K.R.

Dr. Donohue: Mineral oil softens the stool. That is helpful for hemorrhoid control.

Straining to eliminate enlarges hemorrhoids. However, mineral oil isn't the safest

stool softener. Mineral oil poses a danger: It can drip into your airways and lungs.

That produces what's called lipid pneumonia, a serious problem. It also binds vitamins

A, D, E and K, and prevents their absorption.

You can keep your stools soft in safer ways. Fiber works well. Many cereals have a

high fiber content. You also can purchase psyllium-containing products like Metamucil,

Fiberall and Perdiem to keep stool hydrated and soft. Stop the mineral-oil treatments.

Dear Dr. Donohue: I smoked my last cigarette two days ago. I think about lighting up

constantly. Smoking gave me a lot of pleasure. I liked smoking after eating and with

coffee or beer.

How long do these urges last? I'm not sure I can resist them if they stay this strong.

-- L.F.

Dr. Donohue: Nicotine withdrawal symptoms vary from one person to the next. You might

have trouble concentrating, and you might be irritable and unable to fall asleep for

two or three weeks.

The desire for a cigarette lasts longer. The brain doesn't forget pleasurable

sensations, but even these ingrained longings do disappear in time.

If you're having a problem resisting the urge to light up, try one of the many ways of

withdrawing from nicotine more slowly. Nicotine gum, nicotine skin patches or oral

nicotine pave the way to total nicotine abandonment. Chantix, a prescription item, can

help you through the period of denicotinization.

没有评论:

发表评论